Having a crooked, protruding, or misaligned smile can cause you to feel self-conscious or embarrassed about your appearance. Perhaps more importantly, a misaligned bite also contributes to many oral health conditions that orthodontics can help. In this day and age, it's hard to escape photos and social media videos, and no one wants to see a photo of themselves that's less than flattering. Aside from appearances, having straighter teeth can prevent future oral issues from occurring.
If you are in Royal Palm Beach, FL, and are thinking of investing in your appearance and oral health, contact Affordable Dental Center of Wellington to see if you are a good candidate for invisible braces.
- When Are Invisible Braces Recommended?
- Orthodontics for Adults and Teens
- Invisalign Invisible Braces
- Tips for Success with Invisalign
- Is Invisalign Right for Me?
- Would You Like a Straighter Smile?
When Are Invisible Braces Recommended?
Straightening your teeth is not just about improving your appearance, although that is a significant effect! Sometimes, your teeth are twisted or aligned in such a way that simple oral hygiene is difficult. At our Royal Palm Beach, FL, dental office, preventative dental care is essential to us. During your examination with our dentist, Dr. Bussell may take digital dental x-rays, panoramic x-rays, photos, and digital scans of your teeth. Using the information obtained from modern dental technology,
Dr. Bussell will be able to create your smile makeover and plan where teeth move. Your dentist may recommend invisible braces if you have any of the following: Difficult restorations – If teeth are not aligned properly and the need for a filling or dental crown arises, placing a restoration can be difficult. Having crooked teeth can make it difficult to place or fix adjacent teeth. We often recommend that patients straighten their teeth before restorative cosmetic dentistry for better results.
- Jaw pain and headaches – Teeth that do not come together correctly may cause jaw joints to become worn or aggravated. Clicking and popping are often the first indications that a problem exists. If you ever experience pain in your teeth or jaw, please contact Dr. Bussell immediately, you may have a dental emergency.
- Increased risk of decay –Overlapping teeth are more challenging to keep clean, since there may be areas that are too tight for a string of floss to reach, or where food debris can be trapped. This can lead to decay, especially between the teeth.
- Premature wear – When teeth do not come together in alignment, some teeth can wear more quickly than others, leading to pain, sensitivity, and jaw dysfunction. Wear and tear can have a significant impact on your oral health, so contact our Royal Palm Beach, FL, dental office if you think your tooth enamel is thinning out, or if your teeth grind into each other when you close your mouth.
- Crowded teeth—If there is not enough room in your mouth for your teeth to fit comfortably, your teeth can shift, overlap, or even protrude outwards or inwards. Over time, if left untreated, overcrowded teeth might get worse.
Orthodontics for Adults and Teens
In dentistry today, it’s pretty standard for children as early as age seven or eight to have their first orthodontic evaluation. Many conditions are fixed while children are still developing; in fact, in many hallways of our schools today, it’s not unusual to see most adolescents sporting metal braces. There is no social stigma at that age about metal braces. Instead, it is a rite of passage. It’s hard to feel embarrassed when half your class is in your situation!
Some of us were not so lucky at a younger age, and the idea of brackets and wires don’t always appeal to adults and teens for social or professional reasons. While many of us don’t want to admit or express it, seeing an adult wearing metal braces can make you identify them with teenagers instead of the responsible, professional adult they are. That is why Dr. Steven Bussell offers a more discreet alternative that is both effective and comfortable.
Invisalign Invisible Braces
Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign uses a series of clear, BPA-free, plastic aligners to gradually shift teeth into an ideal location to improve both their appearance and function. Dr. Bussell will be able to determine which teeth should move, where, and in what order. Invisalign invisible braces offer several conveniences:
- Removable for eating and cleaning teeth
- Smooth and comfortable (will never tear up your cheeks!)
- Clear and practically unnoticeable
- No special tools needed to care for your teeth
- Normal dental hygiene appointments (fewer visits than with traditional metal braces)
- Orthodontics with Invisalign can address most alignment issues in about the same time and sometimes faster than conventional braces because they apply constant low-force pressure to teeth. After about two weeks, you can switch to the next set in the series and get even closer to your ideal smile
- Customized retainers designed for your particular smile architecture
Tips for Success with Invisalign
It’s important to follow Dr. Bussell’s recommendations for Invisalign treatment to get the best results on your treatment timeline:
- Wear your aligners for at least 22 hours per day.
- Keep them clean with a mild cleanser and lukewarm water.
- Be sure to keep regular appointments to monitor your progress.
- Notify us right away if you lose or damage your aligners.
- Don’t drink soda or acidic liquids while wearing aligners.
- Maintain good oral hygiene.
- Avoid leaving aligners in a hot car.
- Make it a habit of putting aligners in a case, don’t put them in your pocket or a napkin.
- Keep your Invisalign braces away from pets – they like to chew on them.
- As with all orthodontic treatment, wearing a retainer will keep your teeth in place as your bone adjusts to the new location for teeth. At first, we will typically recommend wearing a retainer for most of the day, and then you can graduate to nighttime only wear.
Is Invisalign Right for Me?
At Affordable Dental Center of Wellington, we provide a full spectrum of dental options for our patients based on their unique smile needs. Dr. Bussell will be able to help you determine which dental procedures are right for you.
Your Royal Palm Beach, FL dentist is highly-trained and experienced with the different types of oral devices that can move your teeth and align your jaws. Based on your lifestyle, smile goals, and oral needs, we make sure that your dental treatments are perfect for you. There may be some instances when traditional metal braces are recommended instead of invisible braces.
Your first dental appointment with Dr. Bussell will determine if you are a good candidate and if invisible braces are the right orthodontic procedure for your smile. During your first dental examination, your dentist will educate you on your dental options that fit with your budget and oral needs in Royal Palm Beach, FL.
Would You Like a Straighter Smile?
If you are tired of hiding your smile in photos or wishing you could have straighter teeth, contact Affordable Dental Center of Wellington today! Our dental office is conveniently located in Royal Palm Beach, FL, and we look forward to helping you achieve the smile of your dreams with modern orthodontic treatment. Invest in your smile and your oral health today!